Thank you, you are now logged in.
Active Ingredients:tamoxifen citrate
All medicines can have unwanted effects. Sometimes they are serious, most of the time they are not. Do not be alarmed by this list of possible side effects. You may not experience any of them.
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following and they worry you:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Hot flushes
- Swelling of the hands, ankles and feet (oedema)
- Change in or stopping of periods
- Intense itching around the vagina and genitals
- Dizziness and lightheadedness
- Leg cramps.
These are the more common side effects of TAMOXEN 20. Mostly, these are mild and short-lived.
Also tell your doctor if you notice any of the following:
- Skin rashes and skin irritation
- Bleeding from the vagina
- Discharge from the vagina
- Liver problems (unusual fat deposits in the liver, hepatitis, jaundice/yellow eyes), inflammation of the liver cells.
- Bald spots or thinning of the hair
- Higher triglyceride (fat) levels in the blood, sometimes with Pancreatitis (pain or tenderness in your upper abdomen)
These are less common side effects of TAMOXEN 20.
Rare side effects of TAMOXEN 20 are:
- Increased risk of blood clots
- Decrease in the number of white cells in the blood (leukopenia)
- Bruising and decrease in the normal clotting ability of the blood (caused by fewer "platelets" and known as thrombocytopenia)
- Thickening of the normal lining of the uterus (womb)
- Growths (polyps) in the lining of the uterus
- High level of calcium in the blood of patients with advanced cases of Breast cancer (your doctor may detect this in a blood test); you may notice this as Nausea, vomiting or excessive thirst
- Swellings in the ovaries, called cysts (usually only in younger women, that is, before the menopause)
- Blurry or poor eyesight, and changes to the eyes
- Thromboembolism (blockage of a blood vessel by a blood clot). This may occur more frequently if other cancer drugs are also being taken.
Recent studies have shown that treatment with tamoxifen may increase the risk of cancer of the uterus (womb). Cancer of the womb is usually found early and can be treated quickly.
Any abnormal vaginal discharge or bleeding should be investigated by your doctor.
DO NOT stop taking tamoxifen if your doctor has chosen it to treat your breast cancer. Treatment of your Breast cancer is more urgent than the low risk of developing cancer of the womb which may develop many years later on or not at all.
If any of the following happen, stop taking TAMOXEN 20 and tell your doctor immediately, or go toAccident and Emergency at your nearest hospital:
- Swelling of the face, lips, mouth or throat which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing.
These are very serious, but rare, side effects. You may need urgent medical attention or hospitalisation.
Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some people. Tell your doctor if you notice any other effects.