Thank you, you are now logged in.
All medicines can have side effects. Sometimes they are serious, most of the time they are not.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you experience any side effects while you are taking Estrofem®(whether or not they are mentioned below).
You may need medical treatment if you experience some of the side effects.
When you start taking Estrofem®your body has to adjust to new hormone levels. You may experience the following side
- abdominal (stomach) pain, feeling sick (Nausea), vomiting, diarrhoea, bloating, flatulence, indigestion
- skin rash or itching, skin reactions, changes in hair growth
- headache, Migraine, Epilepsy, dizziness
- changes in libido, problems getting to sleep
- breast tenderness, enlargement or pain
Asthma, or worsening of asthma
- gall bladder problems
- leg cramps
- weight increase
- fluid retention (oedema)
- fungal infection of the vagina (thrush)
These side effects are usually temporary and disappear.
Tell your doctor if:
- you think you may be suffering from depression
- you are not feeling well or find any side effect too uncomfortable or unacceptable
- any side effect becomes worse
- you have not had a hysterectomy and vaginal bleeding or spotting suddenly becomes heavier
Tell your doctor immediately if any of the following conditions occur (because you may be told to stop taking Estrofem®):
- pain in your calf and your leg is swelling
- any kind of blood clots
- yellow colouring of the skin and eyes (jaundice)
- migraine or sudden severe headache, and you have not previously had migraines
- problems with your eyesight which develop suddenly
- marked rise in blood pressure
- if you have not had a hysterectomy - vaginal bleeding or spotting occurring after you have been period-free for some time
- you can see or feel a lump in your breast, or you notice dimpling of the skin or changes in the nipple
- you know or suspect you are pregnant
Tell your doctor immediately or go to Accident and Emergency at your nearest hospital if you notice any of the following:
- skin rashes over a large part of the body
- shortness of breath, wheezing
- swelling of the face, lips or tongue
- fast pulse
This list includes very serious side effects. You may need urgent medical attention or hospitalisation. These side effects are very rare.
In addition to the possible side effects listed above, Ovarian cancer, heart disease, Stroke and Dementia have been reported with HRT.
Do not be alarmed by these lists of possible side effects.
You may not experience any of them.