Active Ingredients:minocycline (hydrochloride)
Tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible if you do not feel well while you are taking Akamin.
Akamin helps most people with their infections or Acne, but it may have unwanted side effects in some people.
All medicines can have side effects. Sometimes they are serious, most of the time they are not. You may need medical treatment if you get some of the side effects.
Do not be alarmed by this list of possible side effects.
You may not experience any of them.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist to answer any questions you may have.
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following and they worry you:
Dizziness, lightheadedness, unsteadiness
- blurred vision, hearing loss
- feeling sick (Nausea), vomiting, diarrhoea
- loss of appetite
- sore mouth or tongue
- difficulty in swallowing
- oral thrush (white, furry sore tongue and mouth)
- vaginal thrush (sore and itchy vagina, vaginal discharge)
- swelling and itching in the anal and genital areas
- heartburn, which may be due to irritation and ulceration of the oesophagus (food pipe).
The above list includes the milder side effects of Akamin.
Tell your doctor immediately or go to Accident and Emergency at the nearest hospital if you notice any of the following:
- symptoms of a rare condition called benign intracranial Hypertension (increased pressure within the skull) such as persistent headache along with one or more of the following - Nausea, vomiting, blurred vision or dizziness
- severe diarrhoea, usually with blood and mucus, stomach pain and fever
- severe upper stomach pains, often with Nausea and vomiting
- signs of frequent infections such as Fever, chills, sore throat or mouth ulcers
- bruising or bleeding more easily than normal
- being short of breath when exercising, often with tiredness, headaches, Dizziness and looking pale and yellowing of the skin and/or eyes
- swollen, stiff or painful joints
- passing less urine than normal
- signs of Liver disease such as feeling generally unwell, loss of appetite, yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice), Fever, itching and dark coloured urine
- skin rash, itching, redness, flaking or blistering
- symptoms of severe sunburn (such as redness, itching, swelling, blistering) that may occur more quickly than normal
- convulsions or seizures
- sudden signs of allergy such as rash, itching or hives on the skin, swelling of the face, lips, tongue or other parts of the body, shortness of breath, wheezing or trouble breathing.
The above list includes very serious side effects. You may need urgent medical attention or hospitalisation.
Contact your doctor if you notice any staining of your skin, teeth, tongue, lips, gums or nails.
Slight blue-black colour staining of the skin, teeth, nails, inside of the mouth, eyes, tears, breast milk or sweat has been reported. Staining may appear at any time during Akamin therapy but is more common during long-term treatment. Inform your doctor without delay if you notice any staining so that your treatment can be reviewed.
After finishing Akamin
Tell your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following, even if they occur several weeks after stopping treatment with Akamin:
- watery and severe diarrhoea, which may also be bloody
- severe stomach cramps.
These may be signs of a serious condition affecting your bowel.